Steyning Methodist Church:
Location in the Village
The centre of Steyning is at the crossing of
the High Street and Church Street. The map below shows the village
centre, with the old market square now taken over by a car park
where the P and C symbols are.
The round black circle opposite the old market
square marks the clock tower (at right), which at one point housed
the town hall. The car park near the library and the museum is
in St. Cuthman's Field, facing St. Andrew's Church (below).
King Alfred's Close, on the east side of the
field, recalls a link with the past: The church contains what
is believed to be the coffin lid of King Alfred's father, King
Aethelwulf. He was originally buried in Steyning, but his remains
were later transferred to Winchester.
The school buildings in Church St. (right) are
those of the old Grammar School, dating from 1614, although there
is known to have been a school in Steyning from at least 1584.
The Church St premises are still used for full-time boarding
pupils, but also house years 7 and 8 of the day pupils. The later
school years are housed in new premises in Shootingfield, down